Thursday, June 30, 2005

 

Where's the rain?

It's now the end of June and the rainy season was meant to have started at least a month or two ago. Every day on the ABC Asia Pacific weather report Phnom Penh is 36C and rain. Who prepares these reports?? We have had the very occasional 5 minutes of rain but that's all. My XXL raincoat is still in its packet. The 36C every day is more accurate. It's relentlessly hot.

Jono and I both had bouts of an upset stomach sickness in the last week. His lasted about 3 days, mine only about 24hours. We are both better now after doses of Norfloxacin and many glasses of gastrolyte...

While Jono was in bed feeling sick on Saturday, Anthea and I went shopping. This time, it was second hand clothes (and food, of course) shopping at our somewhat local markets called Boeung Keng Kang or as I like to remember it, Bong King Kong. Being non-touristy markets it was a real pleasure not to get harassed by constant cries of 'madam you buy' etc etc. I ended up buy 5 tops for $3. The shopping involved sitting on tiny stools at tiny stalls and going through piles of clothes that were occasionally hung up but mostly came from a garbage bag. It was very hit and miss and there were no change rooms or mirrors (only Anthea's good advice!) but I had a few hits. I decided to experiment and get some clothes I wouldn't normally choose since I was only paying $0.75.

There were a few beggars at these markets - as there are at all the markets - but on this day I had the unusual experience of a beggar giving me my money back! I sometimes give beggars 100 riel - which is about 2.5 cents (US!) - not much but it's the amount locals also give I think and they always seem to be happy with that. However this time I didn't have any 100 riel notes, I only had a 50 riel note so I gave that to a women and she looked extremely offended then gave it back to me! I later gave that women a mango which cost over 500 riel - so I guess she knew what she was doing to wait for something better!

On Monday afternoon - also while Jono was sick at home (I'm not a very dedicated nurse am I?!) I went to the opening ceremony of the first international sporting event in Cambodia since 1968! It was Cambodia, Canada and Australia in the Asia Pacific disabled volleyball championships. One of the AYADs, Andrew, works with the Cambodian team so he got us VIP tickets. I think we could have walked in off the street, but it was nice to feel special. The ceremony comprised of about 10 speeches which became 20 with the translation factor. Sok An, one of the deputy prime ministers who some say is the power in the country, was the 'guest of honour' but his speech was not translated to English. The Australian and Canadian ambassadors were also there and gave speeches, of course. I felt oddly patriotic when the Australian national anthem was played. The best part of the ceremony was the demo game, and particularly a Canadian player who is 7 foot 2 and the reaction of the crowd and the Cambodian players whenever he came onto the court - a kind of nervous laugh.

We are going to watch Australia play Cambodia tonight at the Phnom Penh Olympic Stadium. Apparently, you can have an Olympic stadium without hosting any Olympics!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?